This wealth permeates the Townhall, while the five major cathedrals are still adorned with medieval and Renaissance arts. Let us discover the best in Lübeck: Germany's biggest old city is 100 ha of historical roads under the supervision of these seven towers. One of Lübeck's classical road scenes are series of Renaissance gable buildings that are interrupted by corridors.
This town is shaped in such a way that it will reward everyone with an adventurous appetite. The Holstentor, more than just a single edifice, which guards the west entry to the old town, is a well-known symbol throughout Germany. Commenced in 1464, the gateway has the Lübeck manuscript of North German brick Gothic. Around the door are two terra-cotta panels, while the façade on the town side has three rows of small pointed aisles.
In the interior there is a small market place about the power of Lübeck as a Hanseatic and Free Imperial City with historical measurement devices, model ships, armaments and arms. The Gothic bricks were rebuilt in a dozen gothic- brick buildings around the Baltic Sea in the Middle Ages in the thirteenth and fourteenth c... There is no transepts in the German hall-churches.
The 5 meters have the highest tile vault in the atlantic. In 1225 the Rathaus was first referred to among the biggest mediaeval townhalls in Germany and another of Lübeck's landmarks. However, the first townhall was burned down in the first half of the thirteenth cent. and the pointed arches on the market square date from this period.
On the northern side, in the 1570' s, the building was built in the style of the Rennaissance, and the bright stone used in this period stands in beautiful contrast to the bricks of the former buildings. The doors in this former court room have different heights: Established in 1286 and secularized after the Reformation, the Lübeck Medieval Clinic is a symbol of the Lübeck medieval society's awareness of its people. It cares for the needy, older and ill, provided they have an almost monastical state.
The veranda and transept has frescos from the XIV c. and a 16 c. chancel. It is the obvious place for a local history of the Hanseatic League, an association of merchants' cities and merchants' crafts. More than half a millenium ago, the Hanseatic League was born, ascended and fell.
When you are intrigued by the governmental mechanism of this mediaeval organization, the museums is full of historical document. They document the vows of its members and brilliant treaties and arrangements that have kept the Hanseatic League going for so long. In Lübeck there is a treasure of golden and sterling sums.
The Lübeck Dome was erected by Henry the Lion after Lübeck became a bishop's seat in the twelfth cent. Breaking with mediaeval standards, the Duomo is not the highest temple in the town, and this is due to the tension between the diocese of Lübeck and the mighty traders of the town who were benefactors in the Marienkirche.
Bernt Notke designed the altarpiece and the 17-metre-long triumphant crucifix in the fifteenth centuary, while the Flemish artist Thomas Quellinus created a number of works for the funerary bands in the southern nave. The Theatre Puppet Factory has collected 300 years of puppet and puppet theatre equipment from Europe, Africa and Asia in a beautiful collection of five mediaeval brickwork theatres.
The Nobel Laureate and one of Germany's most popular statesman, former Chancellor Willy Brandt, was borne in Lübeck in 1913. Brandt's biggest area is devoted to bridging the North-South split in Germany, promoting people' s human freedoms and cultivating friendly relationships with the GDR. Romanesque St. Peter's Church was first documented in 1170, but was a ruins for the second half of the twentieth c. and was only renovated in 1987.
When you are in Lübeck for Christmas, come and see the handicraft fair. Most of the way, the remainder of the day must be spent on the church's viewing deck, which is 50 meters high and offers the best panoramic view of the town. Perhaps shaded by the more renowned Holsten Gates on the former west walls, the castle gateway is the other remained gateway of Lübeck, which is still worth a vist.
They are the partner of the Holstentor lion that Daniel Rauch made in the nineteenth cen. Günter Grass, the great writer of the twentieth-century lived most of his later years in Lübeck and died in the town in 2015. The Lübeck Maritime Association was established at the beginning of the fifteenth cent.
It purchased and renovated a building opposite the Jacobikirche in 1535, which remained in use until its dissolution in the nineteenth cen. Historical ship models hang from the timber beam of the ceilings, while the banks are still decorated with the insignias of the crafts.
In 1942, the south-west bend of the old town was not affected by great damages and is full of medieval and Renaissance arquitecture. It is a good season to be in this part of the town, when cafeterias take over the boardwalk and you can observe the stream and the verdant shore opposite a parkhouse.
Through the Holstentor gate, one of the first places of interest in Lübeck is the series of six historical storehouses on Obertrave. It was to be used to store and export to Scandinavia for the import of herrings.