Where is Guam Island

So where' s Guam Island?

Excursion around the islands The biggest and most southern island in the Mariana group. Guam is an uncorporated US entity, managed by the UN as non-self-governing and under the administration of the US Department of the Interior. Situated on the western shore of Guam and just off the northern shore of the main city of Hagåtña, Tumon Bay is regarded as the centre of Guam's tourism industries.

Approximately 36,695.41 acre, or 28.41% of the country of Guam, is owned by the U.S. Army, including Anderson Air Force Base in the Northeast and Naval Base Guam in the Soth.

Guidebook to the war in the Pacific: First year

The Argentina Maru left Guam in January 1942, taking away POWs, among them US soldiers and civilians, naval sisters, US and SP. It was a hard memory of the Chamorros that the island was really in hostile hands and initiated the second invasion of Guam.

A lot of Chamorros were driven out of their houses and loves, some never came back. The island came under the emperor's navy in March 1942, three month after the invading Japan and the first occupancy of Guam. For almost one and a half years, the Omiya Jima, the island of the Great Sanctuary, was ruled by the recently established army rule, known as the Kaeibitai.

Commandant Hayashi Horace, who headed the Navy landings during the December Japans' incursion, had his headquarters in the former governor's palace in Agana. There was also a troop in the former US Navy barracks in Sumay. The Chamorro disciples will be taught English during the Guam War.

They were very strictly controlled by their officer. Sometimes the seamen visited the houses of those Chamorros who decided to stay in town and brought presents of sweets and highly esteemed Kinsei and Sakura Japanigarettes. And Chamorros gave the Japans boiled foods, fruits and craft.

They were often recklessly searching for six men of the US Navy who were hiding in the jungle instead of surrendering. Everyday management of island matters was under the supervision of Mineibu, whose office was in the St. Vincent de Paul office next to the Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral in Agana.

It was used as a general audience for various events, which offended the predominantly Catholics in Chamorros. In order to meet the needs of the Japanese, two Catholics, Father Jesus Baza Duenas and Father Oscar Calvo, and the Baptist priest Reverend Joaquin Sablan, stayed on the island.

Loved and respectful of the fellowship, Father Duenas expressed his concern for the welfare of the nation and often declined to make proclamations for the Japans, unless they were planned gatherings and rule. Forces of the Emperor's Navy gather in front of the former U.S. Marine Corps military base in Sumay.

Chamorros from Saipan, Tinian and Rota assisted the mineibu as interpreter and investigator during this time. They were confiscated by Japonese troops together with other northern Marianas during the First World War. That upset Chamorros very much because these men, their brethren, later turned out to be as horrible, if not more so horrible, than the Japonese were.

Lt Commander Homura, an elder Japonese army commander, was the island's mayor. Homura's fervent reports of Japan's victory in the first few weeks of the conflict upset many Chamorros who could not have imagined the loss of such a mighty United States. When Homura ruled Guam, George Tweed, a U.S. Navy radio station and the only American who was not taken prisoner during the Japan crew, was hid from the Japs by many brave Chamorros, among them Father Duenas, and the Cruz, Limtiaco, Tanaka, Castro, Pangelinan and Artero family.

They ordered the former Japans to stay on their post. The former vet Adolfo Sgambelluri worked in close collaboration with Joaquin Limtiaco, a former East German business man who was compelled to look for US refugees and concealed people. Limtiaco was briefed by Sgambelluri about the intended Japan quest for the Americans, which allowed Limtiaco to stay one inch ahead of the group.

From one place to another, he settled in the island's northerly jungle. The Japanese treated the Americans hard on the suspects of helping him. Not only did he protect and hide tweeds, but, like many others, he also helped the American by supplying important electronics for the reconstruction of a radios.

There was a net of clandestine radios on duty all over the island, listening to Chamorros, the US programmes about the course of the conflict. Then the message was tapped by Mr. and Mrs. Tweed on his old, tattered typing machine and spread all over the island. It often placed information in the small pubs and then sold it to clients, often under the vigilant eye of Japan's forces.

With the reopening of the school in April, grown-ups and kids had to study the local Japan way of thinking, because the people of Japan wanted to strengthen the Nippon Seishen or the Japanese-mind. Chamorro belief in the US banner increased as their lives became tougher under the JAPANES. A lot of Chamorros thought that the Americans would come back; it was only a question of years.

Commander Homura, Lieutenant Commander of Guam under Japanese occupation, and his army helpers are watching over the workers of Chamorro in a paddy fields of the Inarajan. Chamberorros were compelled to abide by hard laws of the keibitais, which included the change of the name from Guam to Omiya Jima, the island of the Great Sanctuary.

Auch interessant

Mehr zum Thema