New Norfolk IslandThe New Norfolk Island
At the end of 1808 544 persons (soldiers, prisoners and free settlers) came, which put an immense burden on the shattered population. However, they formed a foundation for the establishment of the area and offered many trades and professions that were missing, among them 2 baker, 2 blacksmith, 4 ox-drivers, a slaughterer, 13 former sergeants, 2 horticulturists, a crockery worker, a dairyman, a stonemason, 8 supervisors, a potter & glassmaker, 2 salt kettles, 2 merchants, a cellarman and 2 carpenter.
Some suggested that all their rights to lodging against shares (Bengal cow and sheep) be the same as the homes they had abandoned on Norfolk. Out of the new colonists, 24% were in Sandy Bay, 19% in New Town and Glenorchy, 27% on the east coast between Bridgewater and Pittwater and the Clarence Plains.
1811 Governor Macquarie Van Diemen visited the country. Its name did not prevail, although it was used from 1811 to 1825, but the locals, who wanted to keep a connection to their old island house, won the date and the city became formally known as "New" Norfolk.
Governor Macquarie (in honor of his son) changed the name of the brook known by the natives as the Thames to "Lachlan" (pronounced Locklon). The Governor Macquarie ordered the surveyor to design and highlight the Township and the terms of the subsidies and lease agreements. The Hobart City Council was ordered to give the hard-working craftsmen and useful machinists every encourageement and opportunity to set up as soon as the new Township had been split up into permanent allotment gardens.