Norfolk Island CityThe Norfolk Island City
1] James Walker Backhouse, The Deportation of Norfolk Islanders to the Derwent in 1808, William Grahame, Jun, Govt.
1] James Walker Backhouse, The Deportation of Norfolk Islanders to the Derwent in 1808, William Grahame, Jun, Govt. 2 ] Collins to Castlereagh May 10, 1809, Report of the colonists, free individuals and detainees admitted to this settlement by Norfolk Island from November 29, 1807 to October 1, 1808, HRA, Volume 3, Volume 1, p. 421; Frank Clune, The Norfolk Island Story, Angus and Robertson, Sydney, 1967, p. 107.
3 ] Alexander Berry,'Journey of the City of Edinburgh 1807-1812', Paperback, cardboard ML MSS 315/53 pos. 2, roll CY262626, p. 55. 4] Berry,'Journey of the City of Edinburgh 1807-1812', p. 57. 6 ] Deposition of the pilot on the island of Norfolk, 2 September 1808, Colonial Secretary Papers 1788 - 1825, SANSW, real 6001, SZ760, pp.144b-145b.
8] Norfolk Island Victualling Book, June - December 1808, SANSW, roll 763, 4/1168b, p. 200 - 213. 9] Berry,'Journey of the City of Edinburgh 1807-1812', p. 59.
Pine and Pohutukawa Norfolk Island
Norfolk Island Pines and three Pohutukawa, which mark the northerly end of the Marine Parade, have conservation standing because of their important link to the early story of the area. If you look northwards, the bushes create a daring crowd that covers the Bluff Hill cliff where it looks over the harbour of Napier.
Pohutukawa offer a basement of leaves that gives the group a tight side basis, while the Norfolk pines push upwards in contrast. It occupies a triangle-shaped area that was established as a reservation sometime in the 1880s. In a photo from 1889, taken at Hawke's Bay Museum, she is surrounded by an ornate slatted rail.
There are no records in the Councils records of the purposes of the reserve. A Maori spring has said, however, that the site had a memorial or original monument built to signify the consent of Tareha Te Moananui of Ngati Kahugnunu to the transmission of Napier Hill to the Crown. In the 1889 photo there seems to be an obelisk made of wood or rock.
Nowadays, if the assertion is true, the only concrete connection to this incident in the early histories of the area is the tree population on the site and therefore has an important historic connection.