Auckland Island Weather

Weather in Auckland Island

As New Zealand's most perilous isles revolutionized our weather forecast. Auckland and Campbell are situated several hundred miles southwards of Invercargill, in the latitude of the Furious Fifties. During the sailing era, the western winds and the steep rocks of the island posed a great danger to navigation. The Invercauld hit the western shore of Auckland Island in May 1864.

Luckily, the ship was in the relatively protected Carnley Harbour area, away from the enormous waves on the western seaboard, and the ship's staff made it to the water. Sailing to New Zealand, she was considered seagoing enough. As the ship was not strong and five men were on it, only three made their way to New Zealand.

After a south-west transition in July 1865, they left and arrived at Stewart Island after five consecutive nights of storm and storm, in which the skipper was asleep for only half an hours. The Auckland Islands were regularly observed during World War II, when coastal observers were deployed there to monitor and if necessary inform hostile navigation.

During the First World War, Germans had been operating in New Zealand water and it was rightly expected that they would do so again. A few leagues before the start of the battle on 26 August 1939, the Ger-man merchant ship Erlangen slid out of the port of Dunedin in the midnight. It was thought she had been made for the Auckland Islands.

HMS Leander was sent in search of Erlangen, but due to poor weather could not get into the port of Carnley and failed to make it. Later on, when the first coastal observers came, they realized that the Erlangen crews had felled three hectares of ratas to replenish their lean deposits so that they could arrive in Chile.

Most of the coastal observers sent to Campbell and the Auckland Islands were researchers who used their free times to observe the wildlife. Among them were the geographer C.A. Fleming, who later became head paleontologist of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR); the natural scientist J.H. Sorenson, who later became Wild Life of the Antarctic; W.H. Dawbin, who became a global Authority on Delphins and Cetaceans and the Physics of the Touatara; and R.A. Falla, who later became the Dominion Museum Principal and founder of the Ornithological Society of New Zealand.

In order to hide the fact that coastal observers were on the island, the weather observation was kept strictly confidential - only the meteorological service manager was permitted to see them. Then he went into the forecasting room and suggested that the weather forecaster who analyzed the weather chart should adapt the location of the front and depths in the limelight of his own secrets.

In the aftermath of the conflict, the New Zealand authorities recognized the value of weather observation in predicting New Zealand and permitted the watchers to go on to Campbell Island. Radars were set up to track weather baloons to track top wind, and radio probes were approved to track thermal and moisture profile.

Powerful wind also influences Campbell Island's climate, which accurately mirrors the ocean's temperatures. Though it is cooler than New Zealand, Campbell Island is much less volatile throughout the year than places on New Zealand's continent. On New Zealand's continental shelf life, both the daytime reach and the region between the summers and winters are generally 10°C or more.

West wind brings heavy rains to Campbell Island, with 1425 millimeters on 320 consecutive nights a year. That is 2874 millimeters over 206 in Hokitika and 1128 millimeters over 180 in Auckland. Campbell's precipitation is moderate despite 320 rainy nights, as the cool mountain climate cannot absorb much of it.

Most of the time the heavy wind could be a cause of confusion for the workers on Campbell Island, but sometimes they were happy about it. Too near the Auckland Island bluffs under foggy circumstances, she could not fly away in thin air, and the waves drifted her unstoppably to the rock and into a large cavern, where she was destroyed with the death of 68 deaths.

15 others made it back to New Zealand after 18 month on Auckland and the Enderby Isles.

Mehr zum Thema