What is the Population of MolokaiSo what is the population of Molokai?
Mysteriously and dreadfully, this illness spread to epidemics on the island in the lat 1800'. There was no efficacious therapy and no healing at that age. New cases that threatened to wipe out the local population, and without knowing what was causing the illness, the officers became depressed. The only response for civil servants of the administration seemed to be insulation.
The Legislative Assembly in 1865 adopted and King Kamehameha V. adopted "A Law to Stop the Spread of Leprosy", which defined the country for the isolation of those who were able to spread the sickness. It was selected to isolated those with a previously untreatable sickness. It was secluded and quite impenetrable.
Southwards, the area was separated from the remainder of the Molokai by a mere rocky promontory or rock that reached almost 2,000ft. The Hawaiians had lived on this part of the island for over 900 years, so the country could help the population. As soon as the ruling was made and the bill was adopted, the regime began to buy property and move Hawaiians to other houses, disrupting their long ties with the state.
Kalawao on the Kalaupapa Island became home to tens of thousand of leprosy survivors who later migrated here from the entire islands of Hawaii. The first group of nine men and three wives were deposed on 6 January 1866 at the confluence of the Waikolu Valley, the nearest point to Kalawao on the south-east side of the promontory.
In October of the same year 101 men and 41 wives were abandoned for death in Kalawao. They were expected by the Hawaiians who had previously been living in the area and who would feed and care for themselves.
Soon it became clear that most of our clients were too ill or demoralised to care for themselves. Without a willingness and a sense of hopelessness, some of our clients have fallen into vices and morals. and the interest and encouragement of the next two King of Hawaii, William Charles Lunalilo and David Kalakaua. century-long settlement of the peninsula Kalaupapa by non-patients Hawaiians came to an end.
However, the Department of Public Welfare began transferring the patient to the side of Calaupapa on the mainland, as the weather was hotter and drier and cargo and travellers could land more comfortably. From the Waikolu valley, the pipes were lengthened to provide clean drinking waters to the city. When the effects of the illness developed, married men were segregated from their women and offspring, sick offspring were taken away from their mother and father, and infants that had been delivered by patient were immediately taken into the custody of family members or orphans.
Though Hawaii did more for its Hansen Diseased population than any other land in historical times, it was still a terrifying event for the patient and challenging for the healthcare professionals and the chaplains who served the ailing. From 1900, the Ministry of Public Health introduced a scheme to offer high-quality patient service, institutions, care institutions and healthcare in Kalaupapa.
Both of these men worked to enhance the standard of living in solitary confinement by encouraging sport and other activity, enhancing health practices and respectful and decent treatment of care. Over the years the Board of Health record shows how the illness knew no race or ethnical borders. The Health Department's 1903 edition of the 1903 edition of its yearbook estimates the entire populations of Kalaupapa-population at 888 persons - 541 men and 347 women.
Thereof 459 were men and 338 were Hawaiians. Of the other large races, 40 were male and 3 female from China, 12 male and 2 female from Portugal, seven male and one female from America. During the 1900' s, the Federal Government of the United States of America constructed two plants on the mainland.
Molokai Light was constructed at the north tip of the penninsula to lead the ships west to the port of Honolulu on O'ahu. In 1910 a number of guards and their lighthouses were opened at the railway stations, separated from the population. In Kalawao, a group of hospitals was set up to investigate Hansen's ailment.
From 1909 to 1913, the Public Health and Marine Hospital Service ran the US leprosy research station. Despite excellent institutions and ample financing, the island's insulation and failure to recruit people willing to undertake biomedical experimentation resulted in its premature closure. Until 1919, treatment of chaumoogra seed oils from tree seed in India and Southeast Asia provided a remedy for Hansen's ailment.
They had the courage to think that the village of Calaupapa could be shut down. In spite of years of research, healing still seemed as far away as ever. Until 1924 the populations of the population were almost halved. The 485 surviving men were 169 male Hawaiians and 101 female Hawaiians, 53 male Part Hawaiians and 43 female Part Hawaiians, 28 male and 4 female Japanis, 24 male Philippines and one female Philippine.
In the aftermath of World War II, the detection of sulfones led to drastic changes both in the way Hansen's syndrome was treated and in people' s attitude towards people. In essence a cure for the illness, the medicines were launched in Hawaii in 1946. These new medicines resulted in an almost immediate reduction in the number of signs and an enormous improvement in the patient's general condition and wellbeing.
Scouts, Girl Scouts, Lion's Club, American Legion and other organisations opened Kalaupapa for the whole wide globe. Much of the barrier between patient and worker has been eliminated. Hansen people were no longer infectious with the new medicinal treatments. An ex-patient who is in Kalaupapa today has decided to stay here for the remainder of their years.
For 100 years Kalaupapa has been a home for those who were once banned from the community, but it is changing as the number of patients continues to decline. Kalaupapa is still a notable place with an exceptional story - a place that shows the best and most terrible reactions to the disease.