Western Samoa and American Samoa

Samoa West and American Samoa

Américosamoa - United States Pacific Dependencies The American Samoa, an unconsolidated and disorganized island area of the USA in the South Pacific, covers the part of the Samoan island with a length of 171 w. (The remainder of the Samoan isles includes the sovereign state of Western Samoa). The Samoan group has a surface area of 3,121 square kilometers, whereas American Samoa is made up of only seven small isles ( (between 14 and 15 degrees and 168 and 171 degrees) with a surface area (land and water) of 197 square kilometers.

There are five volcanically shaped islets, with steep summits and two reefs. Nonetheless, the overall populace has been relatively stable for many years due to the large number of Samoans migrating to the USA. But also Samoan is widely used.

The most Samoans are Christians. Pago Pago, the area' s capitol, in Tutuila, has one of the most beautiful ports in the South Pacific and is a duty-free dock. Seagoing vessels arriving from Japan, New Zealand, Australia and the US WSC on a regular basis.

Seaflights between American Samoa and Western Samoa as well as regularly operated routes between Pago Pago and Honolulu. In the first millenium B.C. American Samoa was populated by Melanese immigrants. In 1768, the Samoan Isles were discovered by the famous Louis Antonine de Bougainville, who called them Îles des Navigateurs as a homage to the skills of their local sailors.

The United States, the United Kingdom and Germany in 1889 jointly controlled the island. Later the United Kingdom withdrawn its action and, under the Berlin Treaty of 1899, the United States was recognised on an international basis that it had acquired the right to extend across all the Samoan group' s isles to the south of 171° w, while Germany was granted similar right to the western United States.

In 1900 and 1904 the United States was given over to the United States by the various heads of government, and on February 20, 1929 the US Congress recognized the official acceptance of the group. Between 1900 and 1951, the area was managed by the U.S. Department of the Navy and then by the Department of the Interior.

While both offices were nominated by the U.S. administration before 1977, the government's executive is led by a referendum of a loving and loving gov. commander-elect. The Samoan Minister, who chairs the Department of Local Goverment, is nominated by the Gubernator.

Justice, an autonomous part of the administration, works through the High Courthouse and five regional tribunals. Samoan citizens who have lived on or were borne on the island since 17 April 1900 are citizens of the United States. Township is sending a delegation to the US House of Representatives.

One third of the entire active population is occupied by the Federation and the Länder. The United States accounts for between 80% and 90% of external transactions. Samoan people are eligible for free health treatments, which include in-patients. In addition to the regional pharmacies, the German authorities maintain a main health centre, a TB ward and a leprosy clinic.

Doctors educated in the USA work with Samoan doctors and nursing professionals. Formation is a common enterprise of the regional administration and the communities. Doctors' homes and homes are furnished in the village, the state administration is paying teachers' wages and making available facilities and provisions for all except schoolchildren.

More than 19,000 students were registered at the 29 primary and high school institutions in American Samoa in 1997. The American Samoa Community College registered 1,178 in autumn 2001. Radio telegraph circuitry connects the area with Hawaii, Fiji and Western Samoa. There is a phone line for every American Samoa town.

Auch interessant

Mehr zum Thema