Territory of American SamoaAmerican Samoa Territory
They worked for almost 20 years without the Church's expertise and assistance. Having learned of Manoa's visit to Samoa, Joseph H. Dean was separated by Hawaii' mission chief William King to begin mission work in Samoa.
He and his spouse Florence came to Aunu' u (now part of American Samoa) on 21 June 1888. On the same date, Dean baptised a lady called Malaea, who is regarded as his first Samoan conversion. He stayed in Aunu' u, but made rare journeys to Tutuila and within four month 40 more had followed the church (mainly on Aunu'u).
C. K. Kapule, a native of Hawaii whom Dean had asked to join him before leaving Hawaii for Samoa, arrives on August 13, 1888. After the arrival of William O. Lee, Edward J. Wood and Adelbert Beasley in October 1888, mission work on Tutuila began. Tutuila's first subsidiary was opened in Pago Pago on 27 May 1893, and before the turn of the twentieth century, 12 subsidiaries had been organised, despite the problems posed by domestic disputes between the US and Germany gov.
The Samoan Isles were split between Germany and the United States in 1899. West Samoa, which mainly comprises the Upolu and Savai'i Isles, became a Germany settlement and East Samoa (American Samoa) became a US territory of which Tutuila is the mainland. On May 10, 1903, a Latter-day Saints' Community was established in Mapusaga with a schools and a supportive 360 hectare plant-grower.
Between 1900 and 1940 Tutuila opened various stores. At that time, the most common meeting house used was the large Samoan fale, an elliptical straw-covered rooftop construction with columns on the outside rim, without partitions. In 1940, before World War II, American Samoa called back a missionary and the branch offices were taken over by members of the area.
Except the Presidents of the missions and his wives, Wilford W. and Hannahbel Emery, stayed at Pesaga Apostolate. The Church then had 650 members throughout American Samoa, with nine offices in Tula, Alao, Aua, Pago Pago, Nu'uuli, Tafuga, Faleniu, Amaluia and Mapusaga. Mapasaga had 112 pupils.
John Q. Adams was able to attend Tutuila in May 1944. In 1943, the church's contract with the church and the local community and the local schools ended, but he was able to buy the plot and renovate the contract to rent the 360-hectare estate. In 1946 in Mapusaga, Missionary workers came back and founded a college on the Mapusaga plantations and in 1953 they were negotiating the acquisition of the plantations.
The Mapusaga High School started its first grades on September 19, 1960. The US administration in Pago Pago constructed a new grammar college in 1965 that was large enough to house the Mapusaga High-School. Almost half of the pupils who visited Mapusaga came from Western Samoa. In 1974, the church shut down Mapusaga High and rented it out to the West Samoa kids as a communal university.
Pago Pago Stake, the first in American Samoa, was founded on 15 June 1969 with Patrick Peters as Chairman. On February 1976, 11 general authorities, among them Presidents Spencer W. Kimball and N. Eldon Tanner, paid visits to America and Western Samoa and held regional meetings in Pago Pago on February 15. Pago Pago Pago Pago Samoa West Stake was founded on 24 August 1980.
Faleomavaega, former American Samoa U.S. District Administrator, became a non-voting member of the 101st Assembly. President Gordon B. Hinckley was greeted by the President during a trip to American Samoa on 13 October 1997, where he spoke to 7,900 individuals, the biggest gathering ever at the recently opened Veterans Memorial Stadium in Pago Pago.
In 2000, President Hinckley went back to American Samoa on a six-country trip through Asia and the South Pacific and addressed 7,000 spectators again at Veteran's Memorial Stadium on June 17. The Encyclopaedia of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1941; R. Lanier Britsch, Unto the Islands of the Sea, 1986; R. Carl Harris, Samoa Apia Mission Story, 1888-1983, 1983; Jennie and John Hart, R. Carl Harris, The Expanded Samoan Mission Story, 1888-1900, V.
1, 1988; Extracts from the Governor's Account, American Samoa, Church Colleges in Samoa, 1940, Church Archive; J. M. Heslop, "Conferences Begin in the South Pacific", Church News, February 21, 1976; Gerry Avant, "Prophet Goes to Islands of Pacific", Church News, October 25, 1997; Samoan Mission, Manuscripts and Historic Reviews, Church Archive.