Samoan MissionariesThe Samoan Missionaries
LMS missionaries came into a period of violent war and struggle between them. Exhausted by force and the shedding of blood, they gladly welcomed the missionaries and their message of prayer. Tui-Manu'a, the supreme leader of the Manu'a Isles, also hugged the LMS ambassador. Manu'a became the LMS and the congregation's fortress.
In a few years almost all of Samoa was turned to Christianity. A great many persons of modest and precious descent soon made themselves available for missionary work oversee. The first twelve Samoan missionaries went to Melanesia in 1839, nine years after the LMS arrived.
The Samoans have since brought the embassy of the Holy Spirit to other Asian countries such as Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Niue, Tokelau, New Caledonia, Rotuma, Solomon Islands, Wallis and Futuna. A lot of these early Samoan missionaries never came home; they occupied many of the untitled and untitled tombs on isles across the entire Pacific.
In the 1980s, Samoan missionaries were found in Africa evangelising on the roads of London to isolated Jamaican towns. The Malua Theological College was founded in 1844 with the primary aim of teaching and training native college teachers so that every Samoa town has a priest with theological training as chaplain.
Its aim was to preserve the value system of the Samoan way of living as far as possible. Ecclesial communion works in the same way as the town, where five major groups - the men called men named men named men, the spouse of men called men named men named aumaga, the undocumented men called men, the unwed woman called men and the child - each have their own personal and corporative role and responsibility for the upkeep of order and wellbeing.
It is the fundamental unity of the work of the parish with the minister as director. During the time of mission, the Samoan churches were committed to the "social salvation of humanity". This newfound belief focused on the transformations of lives and societies. It was able to run five grammar colleges, one school for young women and one theology school.
The Samoan Orthodox and Orthodox communities have been developing further local, regional and international relations with other Christian communities since the second half of the twentieth centuries. They have developed into a trans-national ministry with eight parishes (synod or diocese) outside Samoa: one in the USA, one in Hawaii, three in Australia and three in New Zealand.
There is a church in Fiji and American Samoa. There are over 70,000 members in the independent state of Samoa alone. CCCAS has over 39,000 supporters in the US territory of American Samoa. Almost half of the Samoan people live abroad. In 1977, when the London Mission Society and other mission organizations founded the Council for World Mission (CWM), the latter also became part of this overall mission work.
In 1980 an ecclesiastical division took place within the Samoan Orthodox churches, whereby the Americans Samoa region withdrew and the CCCAS (Congregational Christians church of Am. Samoa) was founded. CCCAS became a member of the CWM in 1994. CWM Conference 2012 took place at CCCAS Head Office in Kananafou. Co-workers from over 31 churches with membership of Protestant Churches met in Kananafou to participate in the community.
The Samoan congregation continues to take an proactive part in the participation in secular church projects reaching the poor. In the first years of their work, the LMS missionaries created a Samoan script and translated the script into Script. When the first print shop was established in Samoa (1839), only the second in the Pacific area, it was a sign of evangelical Christian ardor.
Missionaries of the London Missionary Society translate the Christian Bible into the Samoan tongue, and this Bible interpretation, "O le Tusi Pa'ia", is still used today. This is an important basis for the use of the Samoan script. Until 1855 the Bible in Samoan had been finished.
This 1886 issue of the Samoan Bible was published by LMS in London. It is a favorite among other Samoan-speaking Christians. The LMS missionaries launched a month magazine in 1839, Sulu Samoa, which continued to run under the name of Corps, and through its website - cccs.org.ws.