Kahoolawe factsThe Kahoolawe facts
The Kahoolawe Island Reserve Commission Story
A pro-active way of managing the invasion of Kaho`olawe is the final objective of this programme to avoid new introduction and eliminate targeted plant populations by establishing and executing a global biosafety regime. Therefore, the major emphasis of this research is on the identification of biosafety vector and the application of biosafetyprotocol.
Further harbours affected are MaÊ "alaea and Lahaina.
With the southwestern ditch of ¤ volcano, the isle is oriented less than 10 km to the north-east of Maui and may be related to the Hana Volcanic Series. Kaho'olawe has a complex story of man's exploits behind it, which has affected its territory and surroundings and made it arid and infertile.
During the nineteenth and early twentieth century, several ten thousand ovine and caprine animals were reared on the isle. 1939 the US military confiscated the entire archipelago as a bomb and gunnery destination. Kaho'olawe became the most heavily artilled Pacific Isles from 1941 to 1945 (Clark 1989).
A clean-up operation has been launched by the German authorities to eliminate the huge amounts of non-exploded regulations and rubble that are left on the islands and near the coast. Due to its long-term position as a Bundeswehr site, there were few geological studies of Kaho'olawe. From Kuikui Pt. at the northern tip of the peninsula to Kealaikahiki at the northwestern tip, the northern bank of the peninsula stretches for 18 km.
This coastline has shallow pockets of Detritalsand at the estuaries of brook gorges that stretch into the centre of the isle. Situated on the leeward side of West Maui, this coastline is reasonably sheltered from the waves of the Northern Pacific. On the eastern end of the northern bank are small gorges like Wa'aiki, Papakaiki and Papakanui vertical to the coastline, where they flow off from the inner part of the archipelago during rare rainfalls.
Bigger gorges are located on the northern bank, where they are divided by low-grown cliffs. Rain spells attract terrestrial materials from the dry peaks of the islands to the coastline, where they cover flat water near the water. Lower levels of deep sea water are being evacuated by powerful coastal streams monitored by the Kealaikahiki Canal between Kaho'olawe and ¤na'i.
Bigger sandy areas are located at the top s of several bigger coves along the coastline like ¼, ¼ and Honokoa coves. Long, broad sandy whitewashed shores border the westerly end of the northern bank, bordered by small reefs eastward and westward of the great Honokoa Bay.
This beach extends to the westerly end of the northern bank over the large inlet just off Keanakeiki. The Kealaikahiki Pt. is a low-lying turn of land on the northern end of the westerly coastline and an important contemporary and historical maritime monument. It is less than 6 km long and mainly comprises a large cove bounded to the South by a large outcrop.
The bay of Hanakanaea has a long, broad, sandy shore that drops off softly off the shore, making it one of the best places for small boats to land on the isle. Its southern coastline is completely open to the sea and is irregularly cut into many coves by large gorges.
There are two large embays at Waikahalulu and Kamöhio reaching far into the interior of the country, and a large island off the mainland. Due to shaft EDM, the eastern shore was carved into dull, up to 240 metre high rocks, which are largely untouched by the river EDM. The Kanapou Bay is large: over 3 km in width and is bounded by the ancient Kaho'olawe Chaldera.