Guam SitesSites of Guam
135-foot viaduct was constructed in 1931 across the Talofofo River. as part of Inarajan during the U.S. naval era of Guam (1898-1941). in the area from the ghosts and collect medicinal and medicinal aromatic species. also archeological availible.
caving ( "sakati"). petroglyphic caves. period important living space for the Marianas Fruitbat (fanihi). tree snakes and other living beings live in some of the wooded areas of the dale. necessary for the weapons kept there. bombing of Guam. during the spanish-chamorro wars. a case of such a prehistorical structure to achieve waters. that Guam was populated about 3,700 years ago. built there, mentioned in a 1819 account.
Pictograms exist in a Tarague lime rock cavern found in the 1920's. Longer profitably for AK to pursue its coppra activities in Guan. There was a Jap raid on Tarague. The US fight for Guam. The Manenggon Hills area was used for pastures in the Guamese period (1668-1898).
The Manenggon Valley was used as a site for a large consolidation camps during World War II in 1944. Manenggon was the biggest consolidation camps and was manned by up to 15,000 warriors. The US soldier opened a shelter for refugees in Manenggon after the Second World War.
The city has an old past and a wealth of nationalities. Currently 118 sites in the U.S. National and 155 sites are included in the Guam Register of Historical Sites. Historic parklands, sculptures, Chamorro sites and legend and views are spread all over the islands and most are open to the general population.
In the following you will find an overwiew of some of the most famous sights. Obtain a card from your local hotels, hire cars or the Guam Visitors Bureau and check these and many other sites. The Latte Stone Park. The Latte Stones are columns on which antique Chamorro homes were built as early as 500 A.D. The Latte Stones were not found anywhere else in the whole wide globe and have become a trademark of Guam and the northern Marianas Islands.
The initial latte rocks consisted of two parts, a support pillar (halagi) of core stone and a cap stone (tasa), which consisted of core rocks, which were normally transported several mile from the stone pit or wall towards the shelter. Usually the old Chamorro's remains and their belongings, like jewellery or even a canoe, were hidden under the rocks.
The Latte Stones are respectful and intact. Intruders at Latte sites may meet Taotaomoa or Chamorro ancestors. Today there are many latte sites in North Guam. There are also replica and pictures of Latte Stones around the Mariana Islands. Here you can see eight Latte Stones in Latte Stone Park in the centre of Hagatna, where they were moved from their former site in Me'pu in southern Guam.
Throughout the period of Spain's reign, two star-crossed lovebirds fell to their death at this place instead of being parted. According to the myth (Puntan Dos Amantes) the daugther of a rich nobleman and Chamorro, himself the daugther of a great chieftain, was pledged against her will to a Spaniard master.
Upon finding that his daughters had gone, the dad informed the master that she had been abducted and that a group of Spaniards had been sent to return her and the man. Superintendent Quipuha Park. The Quipuha was the chief of Hagatna when the Jesuits under the leadership of Padre Diego Luis de San Vitores came in 1668.
Chieftain Quipuha was the first Chamorro chief to be baptised and adopted the Roman Pontiff. Quipuha, as boss or high-ranking man in the then Chamorro Patriarchal Association, had the power to make choices with the council and approval of his clan's most senior wife.
It gave the country on which the first Catholic Church in Guam was built. Today his sculpture is located in Chief Quipuha Park in the centre of the Hagatna Circuit on Marine Corps Drive. Father Diego Luis de San Vitores. Father Diego Luis de San Vitores headed the Jesuit missionsaries who came to Guam in 1668.
1672 Father San Vitores and his Filipino assistent were murdered by Chief Mata'pang of TomHom, today's tumon, because he had baptized the chief's little daughter at the mother's wish, but without the chief's will. Padre San Vitores' deaths led to a total battle that almost led to the disappearance of the Chamorro people.
Catholicism continues to have great power over the Guamese. Father San Vitores Road in Tumon is named after him and his sculpture is in the yard of Tumon Catholic Church on San Vitores Road. Mata' pang's bequest was not so dazzling. There is a priory and a sculpture of Father San Vitores christening the chieftain's daugther, the mum and the swordsman above them, between the Guam Reef Hotel and the Sails Hotel at the site of the assassination.
Plaza de Espana in the centre of Hagatna was used as a governor's palace during the occupation of Spain, America and Japan from 1734 to 1944, when most of the building was demolished during the bombing of Hagatna during the re-conquest of Guam in World War II. San Antonio Brigde (To'lai Acho or Stonebridge ) was built by the Spaniards around 1800 to cross the river Hagatna.
After the Hagatna bombardment in the Second World War, the old viaduct was still in use after the war. When Hagatna was rehabilitated, which began in 1945, the stream was flooded, but the viaduct was not damaged and has now been moved to a small garden above the Marine Corps Drive from Hagatna Marina.
At the north side of the viaduct you will see "Sirena the Mermaid", a legend of Guam cultur. Talifak was one of many small viaducts along the El Camio Real, the old coast road from Hagatna to Umatac, over which the Spaniards carried their provisions. Built in 1785, the Tailafak is one of the few genuine specimens of architectural design in Spain still standing at its pristine location.
Agueda Fort. Built in 1800, Fort Santa Agueda had a dominant location with views of the Bay of Hagatna and the town of Hagatna. Agueda' s gun was used to defend the port of Hagatna and the profitable galleon business until the Spanish-American War, when in 1898 an US fregate with flaming weapons arrived in the port of Hagatna.
The Hagatna was delivered the next morning. Even today the old Hagatna Bay Gun refers to the remains of Fort Santo Agueda in Hagatna Heights next to the governor's palace. The Fort Nuestra Senora de la Soledad. The Fort Nuestra Senora de la Soledad was one of the last fortresses built in the nineteenth century to help the galleon business in Spain.
Situated on the rock south of Umatac, Fort Soledad has an impressive views of the bay and all the rapprochements to the ocean. It was renovated in 1995 and the Fort Soledad canon still points to the Pacific and Umatac Bay, where Magellan arrived in 1521 to make the first contacts between Guam and the West.
For Santo Angel. The Fort Santo Angel was one of four fortifications in the Umatic area and the oldest still existing. Situated on a cliff on the northwestern tip of Umatic Bay, Fort Santo Angel was more of a watch tower than an fortress. The third and smaller viewpoint, San Jose, was built nearer to the waters at the north tip of Umatic when Fort Santo Angel began to decay towards the end of the Galleon Age.