Fort SelkirkSelkirk Fort
chip="mw-headline" id="See_also">Siehe auch>>
Several of the historical building in Fort Selkirk, Yukon. Forte Selkirk is a former trade station on the Yukon River at the junction of the Pelly River in the Canadian Yukon. It was for many years the home of the Selkirk First Nation (Northern Tutchone). In 1848 Robert Campbell founded a trade station of the Hudson's Bay Companynear by.
At the beginning of 1852 he relocated the position to its present position. Respicting the Hudson's Bay Company's intervention in its tradtional dealings with the inner Athabaskan First Nations, Chilkat Tlingit First Nation invaded and plundered the guard this past summers on Saturday, August 21, 1852. Reconstructed about 40 years later, it became an important service point on the Yukon River.
The road was closed in the mid-1950s after the Klondike Highway avoided it and the Yukon River slackened. Much of the building has been renovated and the Fort Selkirk Historic Site is property of the Selkirk First Nation and the Yukon Government's Department of Tourism and Culture.
The majority of people arrive by ferry, although there is a landing strip on the site, Fort Selkirk Aerodrome.
The Yukon Register of Historical Places
The Fort Selkirk History Site is located in lot 1021, plan 2008-0123, a 50 hectares plot in the centre of the Yukon, on a patio on the banks of the Yukon River near the estuary of the Pelly River. It has archeological testimonies of ancient usage and settlements overlaid with archeological ressources, existing buildings and artefacts from the historical 1852 town.
In the Selkirk First Nation Final Agreement, Fort Selkirk is called the historical site of the Yukon to remember its importance for all the Yukon population. It also exemplifies the historical trade system, the traffic developments of the Yukon, Canada's independence, the early extension of the Christian faith and parish living in a remote area in the north.
Forte Selkirk is key to the home of northern Tutchone and its cultured tradition of wild harvest, commerce and travelling. The importance of this place of encounter and commerce between the First Nations is demonstrated by a web of ancient paths and archeological artefacts. This is the first place where the northern Tutchone tribe met and welcomed settlers from the north.
It was named after Robert Campbell of the Hudson's Bay Company, who founded a trade office here in 1852. Though it was short-lived, it marked the beginning of an epoch as the Yukon's commercial and communications center with the outside worlds. Up until the mid twentieth-century it was the center of overland, rivers and later also aviation.
In the early 1890s, Arthur Harper's trade posts and an Anglican church ministry formed a constant alliance. Fort Selkirk's strategical position made it the Yukon Field Force and North-West Mounted Police station in 1898 and the first capital of Yukon territory.
During the first half of the twentieth centuries Fort Selkirk continued to be a prosperous and prosperous fellowship in which two different civilizations shared, worked, gambled and worship. In the 1950', given up by the building of new streets and the end of cycling, members of the Selkirk First Nation and other yeukoners still consider it their traditional home.
As the Selkirk First Nation and the Yukon government co-owners and co-owners of the site, the relationship shows the ongoing commitment to Fort Selkirk's profound and co-operative work.