Face Statues Island

facial statues island

Pronounced Moais (pronounced Moe-Eyes) already face a multitude of natural enemies. Originally settlers of Easter Island (Rapa Nui: Ahu Akivi, with a view of the sea, is the only Ahu (group of statues). The Easter Island Statue Project Official Website Completed as part of a serial number that depicts the Easter Island Statue Archaeological Site in the Rano Raraku Quarry Zone, Interior Region, Quarry 02, Statues RR-001-156 and RR-001-157. It is a purely Japanese dig group led by the co-directors of the work. Following the conclusion of the conservational and academic studies of our chilenean colleague Monica Bahamondez P and our member of our University of Valparaiso, Dr.

Christian Fischer, we have been extended this year by our new chilenean colleague Sr. José Miguel Ramírez A., Universidad de Valparaiso.

J. Anne Van Tilburg and Cristián Arévalo P. This article presents the most recent excavation work, starting with phase 2 of the Moai RR-001-156. This excavation is a follow-up to the localized excavation on the central side during Phase 1, which concentrated on arriving at the basis of the sculpture on the arch.

Archaeological excavations began on August 6, 2013 and the archaeological excavations ended on August 29, 2013. Afterwards, the dig was shut down to prevent strong rainfall and with the help of CONAF and CMN people. Up to now we have collected 1,300 monumental sculptures in the island-wide surveying areas, in the Rano Raraku collection and in the quarries, among them entire (as distinct from intact) statues, headings, torso, fragments, formlines.

Completed in a row of articles on the excavations of the statues RR-001-156 and RR-001-157 in the Rano Raraku stone pit, Raffa Nui, Chile. The following article is about the further digging of the RR-001-156 sculpture to the basis and square 4 of RR-001-157. This activity took place during the Easter Island Project Conservation Initiative Concerts Week V (November 2011).

RR-001-156 and RR-001-157, both of which are in Rano Raraku 2 Quarra. It adjoins the 2nd stone pit on the east side and was chosen by the restorers as an inspection area. The Rano Raraku stone pit, in which 95% of the 1,042 previously known sculptures that have been recorded by this work have been cut, is a part of the Corporación Nacional Forestal (CONAF; www.conaf. cl) and as such a world heritage site.

It is the third in a serial documentary that documents the execution of the allowed digs in the Rano Raraku stone pit on the RR-001-156 and RR-001-157 statues. Specifically, this document is about the third digging period, Stage 3, and focuses specifically on RR-001-156. Dr. Christian Fischer will carry out the subsequent conservational work expected in March 2011 and will document it in a special document.

Destination sculpture for this year' s event is RR-001-156. In 1914-15 it was dug up by the Mana expedition to Easter Island (Routledge 1919). At the beginning the sculpture was placed on a line between the earlobe and the corner of the jaw" (NGS/WKR) according to the unreleased memoirs of Routledge.

There were two separated digs from the back side of the sculpture, both of which were random and poorly recorded. Its first archaeological site was" to a maximum of 16 ft from the apex of the head". "The second dig at the back was made to lengthen the first dig to 10 ft from the back of the statue," just to take photos.

On the front, the digging was " up to the umbilicus ". "Our historical level book gives an overview of the archaeological digs and the items gathered. The purpose and objectives of the second phase 2 of the Easter Island Statue Protection Initiative are presented provisionally.

Stage 1 took place in April 2010 and a full account of this work is available from the competent authorities. This will be at the end of the joint work scheduled for phases 3 and 4, which includes a similar dig and trial of Moai RR-001-156. This Conservation Initiative is financed by the Archaeological Institute of America and serves to scientifically evaluate the conservation status of the two statues described here (RR-001-156 and RR-001-157).

Furthermore, the nature conservation initiative will supervise and gather academic information on the discreet environment of the two statues. This information is used to establish the course of the stabilisation treatments for each of the statues, and how this can or cannot be generalised to other statues.

It is the first scientifically verified archeological excavation inside the Rano Raraku quarry. This is also the first Rano Raraku rock conserving and preserving programme. All, except for one of the 22 statues (Moai) inside the Rano Raraku quarry were previously uncovered by unscientifical and indocumented ditches.

Aiming statues for this site (RR-001-156 and RR-001-157) were excavated or otherwise disrupted by the Mana expedition (1914), the Franco-Belgian expedition (1935) and the Norwegian archaeological expedition (1954-55). Carlos Rapu Rapu, Benjamin Mihaore Pakarati González, Ana Pakarati Icka, Margarita Pakarati and Melisanda Pakarati; some of them are from the Universidad Internacional SEK, among them Isaías Hey Gonzáles, Joaquin Soler Hotu, Rafael Paoa Rapu, Tiktehatu Aste Paoa and Felipé Rubio Munita.

Dr. Christian Fischer and Mónica Bahamondez Prieto are responsible for the nature protection initiatives of our AIA-funded projects, with Paula Valenzuela and Tahira Edmunds for capturing fieldspaces. Friends, through a methodological archeological study we have carried out the numerical cartography of the Rano Raraku stone pit, documenting over a thousand statues throughout the island and creating the biggest archeological archives in the whole island, which describe the statues.

We' re digging and preserving statues in the Rano Raraku stone pit. Knowing about it will make it possible to obtain other statues all over the island. An AIA scholarship has created our nature protection campaign. In our Mana Gallery on Easter Island we also have a share in the profits from the sale of modern tribal music. To those of you who have followed us, we now turn to the front of the sculpture "Papa" (RR-001-156).

To date, we have dug out the two statues on their posterior sides and document the ceremony uses of the statues (pigments), the transportation (basic characteristics, incl. a large pillar for lifting the statues) and a small rock with an engraved kerosene glyph in a similar design as on the back of the statues.

Now we know for sure that the "heads" on the track are indeed full but not complete statues. Further work comprises the geometric cartography (by Dr. Richard Dunn) of the interiors and the survey of the sea floor (Dr. Shelley Wachsmann and Jeffrey Morris).

Auch interessant

Mehr zum Thema