Easter Island name OriginName of Easter Island Origin
Some 1,500 years ago, Polynesian chief Hotu Matu'a took his tribe to the island of Rape Nui, where they remained insulated from the remainder of Polynesia for many years. It is likely that the Polynesians inhabited the island by canoe or catamaran from the Gambier Islands (Mangareva, 2,600 km away) or the Marquesas Islands, 3,200 km away.
" A Tahitian thought about a hundred years ago that the form of the island reminds him of one of his home isles, Rapid Iti[Small Rapa], and he gave the island its well known name, Rapid Nui[Big Rapa]. Easter Island" was named after the first registered tourist to the island in Europe, the discoverer Jacob Roggeveen from the Netherlands, who met her on Easter Sunday 1722 in search of Davis or David's island.
It was called Paasch-Eyland (Dutch for Easter Island in the eighteenth century). Isla de Pascua, the island's name, also means Easter Island. Several disastrous incidents in the 1860' destroyed or even eliminated the majority of the people. By December 1862, about 1,500 men and woman, half of the island's inhabitants, had been kidnapped by Peru' slavery hunters.
The Easter Island populations have been cut to such an extent that some of the deceased have not even been laid to rest. In the mid-19th centurys, TB, introduced by whaling, had already destroyed about a fourth of the island's inhabitants. All but 171 of them were evacuating to the Gambier Islands in 1871. Only 111 persons were living on Easter Island six years later, and only 36 of them had newborns.
Since then the people of the island gradually began to recover. However, with over 97% of the island's inhabitants deceased or disappeared in less than a century, much of the island's culture has been wasted. In the end, he purchased all the land on the island with the except for the missions and was their only place of employment.
Worked on the development of the island's tourist industry and was the main source of information for the island's UK and Germany archaeological outreaches. In 1888, Salmon bought the Easter Island of Brander to the Chilian authorities and witnessed the transfer of the island. From 1878 until his transfer to Chile in 1888, he reigned the island.
The Easter Island was annihilated by Chile in 1888 by Policarpo Toro through the "Treaty on the annexation of the island" (Tratado de Anexión de la isla). There are still some who dispute the applicability of this contract. Chile formally acquired the almost complete Mason Brander-Sheep Ranch, acquired by the descendents of Rafa Nui, who were dying during the outbreaks, and then took control of the island.
Up until the 1960', the survivors were limited to Hanga Roa. Until 1953 the remainder of the island was leased to Williamson-Balfour as a shepherd. Until 1966 the island was administered by the Chilean Navy, after which the island was re-opened in its totality.
1966 the Rafa Nui received chilen nationality. From 2011, a specific island charter was discussed in the Congress of Chile. The island is a provincial area of the Valparaíso region in Chile and consists of a unique municipality (comuna). Isla de Pascua is the name of both the provinces and the municipality and includes the entire island and its islands and cliffs as well as the Isla Salas y Gómez.
After the Chilean putsch of 1973, which put Augusto Pinochet in government, Easter Island was placed under warfare. Pinochet paid three visits to Easter Island during his tenure. Today Lan Chile, the Chilean airline, offers regular flights to the city. There is no harbour in the island, but boats can moor off Hanga Roa on the western shore, the island's biggest town.
Rapa Nui was declared a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site in 1995. Today it is home to a diverse community, mainly of Polish descent. The Spanish is widely used and the island has evolved an economic activity largely driven by the tourist industry. Appearance on Eater Island (Rapa Nui) at Salomon Islands FestPac 2012. Rapa Nui's inhabitants are sharing a Polish legacy with their co-ins throughout Polynesia.
As the greatest proof of the wealth of civilization that has been created by the early colonists of Rafa Nui and their offspring, there are almost 900 huge sculptures of stones found in various places on the island. At an average height of 4 meters and weighing 13 tonnes, these huge boulders - known as mai - were cut from tufa (the lightweight, porous rocks consisting of solid volcano ash) and placed on ahu' ceramic stones.
Why these sculptures were built in this number and size or how they were transported on the island is still not known. The majority of the villages were on the shore and most of the mai were built along the shore, guarding their offspring in the villages in front of them, with their backs to the ghost worlds in the ocean.
Moreover, the inhabitants of Rape Nui were perhaps the only Polynesians who had something similar to a type system with their rugorongo pills, some of which are still in widely used museuses. They are good choreographers and have a great love for dancing and dancing.
Favourite dancing is Sau-Sau, the Island Tanzango, the Tari-Tarita and other Tahitian music. These songs are sung by groups or the island's favourite vocalists who come together around their own instrument. Dancing and singing, slapping your hand, sliding your head and your waistline at the same one.
The singer' s fantasy is to observe a folk music characterized by country singing, different from the contemporary and happier ones of Polish origin. The Sau-Sau is one of these tunes, a favourite Samoan origin which has become a typical Samoan music.