Dimensions of GuamThe dimensions of Guam
The size of Guam in comparison to Puerto Rico
The area of Puerto Rico is about 13.791 square km, while Guam is about 544 square km. Meanwhile about 4 million Puerto Rico residents (3 million fewer Guam residents). A true-to-life chart showing a Puerto Rican versus Guam area. See a detailed Guam vs. Puerto Rico vs. our international comparator for more information.
» The Guam Seal and Flag
Guam Signet is a reddish edged ovale that narrows and ends at two pointed ends. Hagåtña estuary, the sand mouths of the stream and the nearby beaches with a lonely spur of palms, an important source of food for the Chamorro, and a floating proon, the main means of transport for the early Chamorros.
"Guam " is written in big fat characters in the center of the signet. Guam seals are coloured as follows: the skies are pale blu, the sea is mid blu, the palms are verdant and darker, the beaches are amber, the rocks are verdant, the kayak is dark bay with a blank sails and the writing is toast.
It is the heart of the Guam-Flagge. It is a dark navy colour with a scarlet edge on all sides. Today, Guam carries this banner together with the banner of the United States of America. However, until 1917 Guam did not have its own banner, rather the Spanish banner was hoisted until 1898 and later the US banner was hoisted over the isle.
Today, the initial inspirational theme for the Guam label is controversial. However, the three most likely inspirational works are those of the work of the resident Francisco Feja, a photo from the 1912 photo gallery of former Gov. Robert E. Coontz and drawings by Helen Paul, the wife of Commander Carrol E. Paul. In 1917, according to the documents of Anita M. Elvidge, Ford Q. Elvidge's spouse - named civil governor of Guam from 1953 to 1956, a draft by Helen Paul in Washington D.C. was adopted and accepted by Guams Naval District Administrator Roy C. Smith due to the great request for an insular aviator.
He made many of Guam's drawings, one of which was a lonely cocco tree on a sandy spot at the old estuary of the Hagåtña River, surrounded by the ocean, a remote rock and a floating riverina. After Anita M. Elvidge's papers: .... this drawing was imitated by Lillian Nagal, woman of Marine Sergeant Nagal's home economy classes and made the first Guam islandflag.
Corresponding to the July 1917 issue of the Guam News Letter (a quarterly magazine published by the Navy government): On July 6, 1917, the banner appeared for the first time when it was welcomed together with the Guam cadets at a Guam nation-parade. It was hoisted at a mass in Hagåtña on 4 July 1918.
A July 1930 issue of Guam Recorder, a Guam Navy government directed quarterly from March 1924 to the time of the Japan invasion, published and read an order that had been executed by the Governor of Guam Willis W. Bradley, Jr: A further order from the Governor of Guam, Willis W. Bradley, Jr. in Guam Recorder, No. 71, May 12, 1931, is signed:
On the Plan of Guam Flags, adopted on July 4, 1917 by Roy C. Smith, Governor of Guam and now deposited in the Department of Records and Accounts, the Guam Islands Flags are hereby referred to as the island flags of Guam. This order has adopted an island ensign consisting of a deep yellow box with the Guam Signet, which has been certified by Regulation No.
18, of 4 April 1930, on both sides of the banner. Until 1948 a scarlet edge was attached to the banner. Banner detail with reference to a two-inch wide dark purple frame is recorded in Guam Congress Bill No. 12, authorized by Naval Governor C.A. Pownall on February 9, 1948.
This is the law passed by the House of Assembly and the House of Council of the Guam Congress as contained in Chapter VI-A of the Civil Regulations titled "Territorial Flags of Guam", Section 1: Guam's formal territory ensign consists of a square box of navy seventy-eight-inch long and forty inch broad, cut on all sides with a dark reddish two-inch broad edge and the Guam coat of arms in its centre (a two-pronged elliptical scenery twenty-four-inch high and sixteen inch broad, representing an old floating canoe on a shoreline near a lonely coconut).
Colours of the Guam coat of arms are as follows: amber representing the sandy; browns, the log and the kayak; grey, the far, low hill; reds, the characters GUAM on the coat of arms. Every divergence from the dimensions given here will be proportionally enlarged or reduced.
It also describes the way in which the US will fly the US standard. This states that if the Guam territory ensign was to fly with a sole crew, it should be operated under the US-surface. This also states that if the US standard is used, the US standard should be shown either below or to the lefthand side of the US standard.
Under Section 7 of the Act, no one was obliged to make a pledge of loyalty to the Guam territory flagg. Judge Jose C. Guam Manibusan was commissioned to produce the first post-war Guam flagg. According to the notes, on September 10, 1950, the Guam Congress adopted Decree No. 33 "An Act to Provide con l'Official Sea for Guam", which called the 1917 draft an officially recognized land-register.
The early Guam Signet was found on government records and orders, but it was also used on the gates and sides of the governor's carriage and ship. Bradley also used the stamp for a brief time on Guam postage stamp, which is now a collector's item. Guam District Attorney Designate is the appointed guardian of the Guam Signet.