Delaware BayBay of Delaware
The Delaware Bay is the mouth of the Delaware River on the northeast coast of the United States. About 782 sq. km (2,030 km2) area, the bay's freshwater blends with the Atlantic saltwater for many mile. It borders the states of New Jersey and Delaware as well as the Delaware Capes, Cape Henlopen and Cape May, on the Atlantic Ocean.
Delaware Bay is bounded by six counties: Sussex, Kent and New Castle in Delaware, and Cape May, Cumberland and Salem in New Jersey. Cape May Lewes Ferry traverses Delaware Bay from Cape May, New Jersey, to Lewes, Delaware. The Delaware River and Bay Authority is responsible for managing the harbours along the bay.
In addition to the Delaware, it is nourished by many smaller tributaries and creeks, among them (from North to South ) the Christina River, the Appoquinimink River, the Leipsic River, the Smyrna River, the St. Jones River and the Murderkillivers on the Delaware side as well as the Salem River, the Cohansey River and the Mauriceivers on the New Jersey side.
Some of the streams have a conservation state for their salty meadows adjacent to the bay, which serve as nesting grounds for many water animals, among them horseshoes. Delaware Bay was declared a Ramsar wetland of international importance on 20 May 1992. Ayllón sent Quejo northwards in 1525 and got a report about the coast to Delaware Bay.
De Ayllon and Captain Quejo named Delaware Bay Saint Christopher's Bay in 1525. Godyns Bay" or "Godins Bay" was named by the Dutch after a manager of the enterprise, Samuel Godijn. In 1638 Peter Minuit, the former New Netherland warden, was able to found a rival New Sweden housing estate in the bay and along the so-called South River (now Delaware), which had been donated by Sweden.
In 1667, after the Treaty of Breda gave the English the name of the new Dutch settlement, the bay came into their hands and was re-named by Samuel Argall as the Delaware Bank, after the first Governor of Virginia Thomas West, the third Baron De La Warr. 5 ] The Indians who lived along the bay and along the riverbank were later named Delaware by the Europeans because of their whereabouts.
Also the US state gets its name from the bay and the stream. Contradictory Crown Grants were made to James, Duke of York and William Penn on the western shore of the bay and more... In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the village of Philadelphia, upstream on the Delaware coast, became the biggest town in North America.
Pennsylvania's entry into Delaware Bay was so crucial to its continued existence that Penn was in an eighty-year lawsuit with the Calvert familiy to insure it. Marquis de Lafayette noted the bay's strategical importance during the American Revolutionary War, proposing the use of Pea Patch Island at the top of the bay for defence for the important harbours of Philadelphia and New Castle, Delaware.
Later on, Fort Delaware was built on Pea Patch Island. During 1855, the United States Systematic Development of a 600-foot (7.9-meter) broad canal from Philadelphia to the Delaware Bay depth. From Philadelphia, the Rivers and Ports Act of 1899 provided 600 foot (180 m) of width to the bay's shallow waters for a 30 foot (9. 1 m) canal.
It is one of the most important waterways in the United States; it is the second largest navigable channel after the Mississippi. Necessity of navigating directly around the two cape islands into the sea is bypassed by the Cape May Canal and the Lewes and Rehoboth Canals at the Northern and Southern Cape respectively.
It is directly linked to the northern end of Chesapeake Bay through the Chesapeake and Delaware Canals. There are several seafaring issues in the bay: a strong flow of up to three nodes, which quickly forms a bad hole in headwinds; especially flat waters, whose canal is often filled with seagoing ships; and relatively few shelters.