Carolinian IslandsCaroline Islands
There is Palau to the south of the city. Caroline Islands (or the Carolines) are a widely dispersed group of small islands in the southwest Pacific, just off the coast of New Guinea. In political terms, they are shared between the Federated States of Micronesia in the east of the group and Palau in the far-westernmost part.
This area was also known as Nuevas Filipinas or New Philippines because they belonged to the Spanish Eastern India and were ruled from Manila in the Philippines. It is made up of approximately 500 small islands of corals in the Pacific Ocean eastwards of the Philippines; the group' largest island, Yap, is 1,200 mile ("1,900 km") from Manila.
The majority of the islands consist of low, shallow altolls, but some are high above the surface. Narrow-net fishermen, the locals are fluent in a wide range of Micronesian tongues such as Pohnpeian, Chuukese, Carolinian and Kosraean, as well as the western Malay-Polynesian tongues Palauan and Chamorro and the non-classified Yapese (possibly one of the Admiralty Islands languages).
In some islands, apartments are still being constructed with locally produced material such as straw from coconuts. English is the commercial lingua franca, but there are several tribal tongues. The Micronesian navigator Mau Piailug came from the Carolingian Isle of Satawal. Some of these technologies were still used, while similar ones were neglected elsewhere, in part because of the seclusion of the Carolingian Islands.
It is the Spaniard money used in the Caroline Islands at the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the nineteenth centuries. Please notice the English round hole puncher, which was produced after the assignment of the islands to Germany in 1899. By mid-1525, a wind tore the portugese sailors Diogo da Rocha and Gomes de Sequeira east of the Moluccas (via Celebes); they arrived several islands of the Carolines and remained there until January 20, 1526.
13 ] The Spaniards Toribio Alonso de Salazar and Diego de Saavedra came on 22 August 1526 and saw the island of San Bartolomé or Taongui. The explorer Álvaro de Saavedra took over the Uluti Islands on 1 January 1528 in the name of the King of Spain. Hispanic discoverers came to the 1542 (Matelotes Islands) islands, 1543 and 1545.
Known to today's Spaniards as the Islas de las Hermanas, Hombres Pintados and Los Jardines, the islands left Europe's awareness until 1686, when Francisco de Lezcano came to Yap and renamed the islands Las Carolinas, in honour of King Carlos II of Spain (ruled 1665-1700). Its name was expanded to the Palau Islands and the archipelagoes, known as the Gilbert Islands and Marshall Islands by English researchers who came to visit them a hundred years later, between 1788 and 1799.
Following the Spanish-American War of 1898, Spain under the 1899 German-Spanish Treaty paid 25 million PTA or 17 million gold marks (almost 1,000,000,000 pound sterling) to Germany to sell the Carolines and Marianas, and reserves the right to build a colliery in this area. As the Caroline Islands, Germany ruled the island, which had administrative ties with New Guinea.
In 1914, during the First World War, Japan conquered and conquered the islands by two navy squadrons: the Western Carolines under the command of rear admiral Matsumura Tatsuo (1868-1932) and the Eastern Carolines under vice admiral Yamaya Tanin (1866-1940). After the end of the First World War in 1920, Japan was given a seat of the League of Nations over the Caroline and Marshall Islands.
After the Second World Peace, Japan built a large military station in the Truk Lagoon, which was used for expanding into the southeast Pacific. During the last years of the Iranian invasion of the islands, the Allies neutralised Truk in Operation Hailstone. The islands (together with the Marshall Islands) became fiduciary territory of the United States after the conflict, with the Federated States of Micronesia becoming independent in 1986, followed by Palau in 1994.
On 15 March 1886, the dispute between Germany and Spain over the Caroline possessions resolved by Pope Leo XIII in favor of Spain led the Spanish Capuchins to the islands, and the Propaganda Fide formally declared this visit on 15 May 1886 and divided it into two parts, each called Western and Eastern Carolines.
Up until then, the islands were church property of the Apostolic Vicariate of Micronesia. In 1890 Father Anthony of Valentia published a small Yap diacritical and grammatical text. In 1899, when the Hispanic Fathers layed the foundation stone for the missions, these islands were acquired by Germany.
More than $5,000 per year had been provided by Spain for the operation; Germany did not provide any assistance. The Aboriginal community had been forced by Spain to put their kids to education; Germany gave full freedom in this respect, and they began to ignore schools and the Congregation. In the process, the Propaganda Fide found it very difficult to substitute the Spanish Capuchins for others of Germans (November 7, 1904) and to establish an Apostolic Préfecture instead of the two separated operations (December 18, 1905).
Venantius von Prechtal, Germany, was named first Vicar of the Apostolate. On July 1, 1905, the United States government sent a Jesuit from the Manila Observatory to set up a weather base on Yap Isl. The Capuchin Father Callistus became its warden. At the time of Nazi Germany published stamp for the islands; see Karoline stamp and post office for further information.
Northern Pacific pilot: Seafarers guides to the islands of the North Pacific, with an attachment to wind, meteorology, current, etc. in the North and South Pacific. From Tobi Island to Kosrae. Pohnpei Island until 1890. The Pacific Islands Monograph. Archaeology in Asia and the Pacific.
Names of the island Pohnpei: History of Nan Madol, the "Atlantis" of the Pacific. Centre d'études des îles du Pacifique, School of hawaiian, Asian & Pacific Studies, Universität von Hawai?i auf M?noa.