ke dr?ave v Karibih.
With Bridgetown as the main port of Barbados, it is also home to Bridgetown Port, one of the most progressive harbours in the Caribbean. Bridgetown and its surroundings are also home to many roads, houses and historical places. Among these are Bay Street, Belleville, Broad Street, Cenotaph War Memorial, Chamberlain Bridge, Heroes Square and Lord Nelson Statue, to name but a few.
In 1628, when the English colonists arrived on the Isle of Barbados, there was not much except a timber footbridge over the city. A group of Caribbean tribes known as the Arawaks are thought to have built the bridges. After the discovery of the structures, the English colonists began to name the area of Bridgetown, Indian Bridget.
Sometime after 1654 the British took the building away and built a new overpass over the Careenage and the area became known as the city of Saint Michael and later the present name Bridgetown. It was eventually superseded as a revolving platform at great expense in 1872. Barbados benefited enormously from the funds of Joseph Chamberlain, then Secretary of State for Kolonies, during the colonial years.
Because of his financial support, the name of the viaduct was changed in his name. At present, the bow of liberation decorates the place where the Indian Brücke once was located. The bow was built in 1987 in recognition of Barbados' work.
UK colonists took full use of Bridgetown because it turned out to be profitable for them, dealing in sugars and using slave labour. Charles Wolverstone took 64 colonists to Bridgetown, Barbados on July 5, 1628, which was officially occupied by James Hay, the Earl of Carlisle.
The Earl of Carlisle has awarded the group a 10,000 hectare tenancy in an attempt to pay off its debt. Volverstone gave each of his colonists 100 hectares of property located on the north side of the Careenage canal for general population. Carlisle's operatives took the south coast of Needham's Point in October and in 1631 Henry Hawley, the new governor, bought many hectares of property directly across from Carlisle Bay.
It is the only town outside North America that was attended by the first father George Washington. Bridgetown in Barbados is also today a centre for important commercial activity and sights. Bridgetown is also home to the main post office, one of the oldest post offices in the word.
The resurgence of fire in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries was all the reason that the Bridgetown structure was very vulnerable. Like most other towns around the world, Bridgetown is a place of great contrast. An easy stroll through this trading centre can put you out into the many variations of urbanity.
Bridgetown in Barbados has become what it really is today through this unparalleled blend of civilizations. The name so accurately describes'Cheapside' as the place where early risers get the coolest products in Barbados on the'cheaper side'. Situated next to the General Post Office in Bridgetown, it is a beehive of paint, fruit, vegetable, and crafts.
The World Heritage Committee stamped the historic Bridgetown and garrison areas in June 2011. They have been inscribed on the World Heritage List of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The UNESCO website describes historic Bridgetown and its garrison as "an exceptional example of UK rural settlement comprising a well-preserved old city dating from the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth century.