Auckland Harbour IslandsThe Auckland Harbour Islands
Aucklands Hauraki Golf - A Guide to the Islands
But we Aucklanders sometimes forgets, but we're in luck. Nowadays some islands are nature reserves and require a permit if you want to see them. More than 50 islands exist in the area, each with its own history and its own personality. Waiheke Island. To take over your vehicle, take a shuttle from Auckland or Half Moon Bay.
The majority of the inhabitants live on the west (Auckland) side of the isle, with the west side consisting mainly of arable land and vines. You will find many nice sandy areas around the islands, including: The Oneroa Strand - The major one on the north side of the city of Oneroa. Small Oneroa Strand - A small remote sandy spot at the easterly end of Oneroa Strand, divided by a prominent rock face.
Bite-Palm Beah-a small laundry sandy at the western end of Palm Beah. The Esplanade - A zone surfdale sand on the south side of Surfdale, divided from Blackpool Strand by a small promontory that has a picturesque unsheltered stretch of road known as The Esplanade that connects the sands. Ontangi Strand - A 1. 87 km long, northerly oriented sandy area, bordered by Onetangi.
Since many years the Onetangi Races take place here. It can only be reached by sea or canoe, as the entrance to the country is restricted by privately owned properties. Three cannon positions were erected on the east side of Waiheke during the Second World War to protect against the threats of a Japonese intrusion.
There was never an enemy attack, although huge amounts of funds flowed into similar positions on Rangitoto, Motutapu and Devonport's Nordkopf, as well as a navy of rapid patrolling patrols of fairly high speed. Barrier Map - click to zoom. Accessible Express also offers a quick shuttle from Sandspit or Auckland. At Claris (Great Barrier Aerodrome) and Okiwi there are airports.
The Great Barrier Airlines und Fly My Sky operieren von Auckland Airport und North Shore Aerodrome aus. Auckland Ardmore Airport to/from Great Barrier Island. Flying from Auckland takes about 35 min. There are some mechanic cemeteries remaining of these branches of industry here and there, but many have been recovered from the woods or are only accessable by canoe.
A lot of parasites have been exterminated under their leadership and the isle is a haven for many uncommon species of bird. 1894 Great Barrier was the site of one of New Zealand's devastating wrecks when the steamship SS Wairarapa hit Miner's Head, the north tip of the Iceland, in dense mist. During the torture 121 people were killed, some of whom were entombed in two improvised graveyards on the cemetery. These are still open on footpaths.
A BBC-Reality Franchise Castaway show was shot on the Isle in 2007 and the contestants were "thrown away" for three month on DOC-rented Harataonga Bay property. Mansion House Bay. To the north of Auckland, near Warkworth, lies the Isle of Kawau. Already in 1300 the Maori people, known for their pirates and cannibalists, were occupying the islands when the Maori in 1831 were selling them to an Australian visitor.
In 1888, after he had bought it, the land went through many privately owned houses, with the later occupants refurbishing or abandoning the magnificent verandas, various annexes and, in turn, the vast estate. The Pohutakawa Trust was founded by the inhabitants of Kawau in 1992 with the goal of eradicating the Wallabys and restoring or reintroducing the indigenous fauna and fauna of the area.
View to the northeast over Rangkitoto (left) and Motutapu (right). Rangkitoto and Motutapu. There is a marked W in white on the right. Formerly the home of several hundred inhabitants in about 140 homes, today it is a nature conservation area and there are no more regular (?) inhabitants, all but about 30 were taken away. It dates from the early twentieth c., when construction on Rangoon was banned in 1937.
Ordinarily the fuller go to Ranghitoto Wharf when the wheather permits, and if necessary to Islington Bay Wharf. It is a 25 minute drive from Auckland city centre, even less from Devonport. Today a favourite place for daily excursions and picnic, the holiday destination is frequented by an approximate 70,000 in all. In the years before and during the Second World War, like Waiheke, the port of Auckland was equipped with a number of defence facilities.
Like other Gulf islands, the north bank of the archipelago has been used for almost a hundred years as a demolition area for obsolete boats, and it is known that 13 boats have found their last resting place in a place known as Wreck Bay, next to Boulderay. Auckland' s happy but hesitant crew of tavern and brothel crew was freed by boatmen who sailed the brief stretch to Rangihtoto and anchored in the cove until the seamen were ready to set out.
The ferry to Home Bay on Motutapu takes about 35 min, or on foot from Rangitoto! Approximately 20 million years old, it is New Zealand's oldest landmass, and by accident it holds man-made palms with our newest landmass, Rangitoto. It is known that Motutapu was invaded by Maori until the outbreak of his younger brother wiped out their colonies.
That is not due to deforestation on the Great Barrier and elsewhere, as Motutapu was practically infertile in the 1850s thanks to the permanent damages caused by the outbreak, and by Maori and European import ers of parasites such as bunnies, ermines and robins. The Motutapu Restoration Trust recently launched a reafforestation programme, and only recently - in 2011 - both Motutapu and Rangitoto were certified as pest-free.
Now the huts for the old artillery camp are rented to the Motutapu Outdoor Education Camp. Embedded between Motutapu and Waiheke lies the pistol-shaped shape of Motuihe, a DOC leisure area. After the most important carnivores disappeared, many kinds were resettled, among them the North Island Saddlebird, the Red-eared Conure and the small speckled Kiwis.
In May 2009, the 350 Nikolai organization members - many of them kids - replanted 22,400 plants in just one year. It was bought and first cultivated by the Maori in 1839, but in 1873 the Spanish authorities opened a refuge for passengers of immigrants' ships, who arrived in the port of Otago with diseases such as scarlets, similar to those in St. Martin.